FYI - Command Line Programs for the Blind

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 19:57:06 UTC 2022

it's annoying how many services insist on using a person's e-mail
address or phone number as a unique
> identifier... its one thing if they have legitimate reason to contact you outside of their platform, but there's plenty that would function just fine knowing nothing about me beyond my username and password...

The whole reason they want a phone number or email address has nothing
to do with unique identifiers and everything to do with marketing,
upselling and even selling that information to other companies and
advertising networks. It's the same reason why they collect too much
information when you actually want a newsletter and make it hard to opt
out when you don't want the newsletter anymore. And it doesn't matter
whether they are providing a free service or you're paying for it.
Either way, they want every part of you that makes you you, even to the
point of tracking things you do online, websites you visit, things you
buy, even all those things you talk about in your private residence.
It's all there for companies to listen to, and is all associated with a
name, email and phone. Just think about all of this the next time you
turn on a computer, start a mobile phone or even plug in that cute
little voice assistant device that looks happy to help. It's happy all
right. Happy to collect every word you say and either market you
something or market you to other too big to fail companies. Fortunately
my Linux computers and servers across the interwebs and my upgraded and
deGoogled Android phone are not collecting information about me or
anyone else in my house, at least not on the OS level.

~Kyle