Console based email and Gmail, any luck?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 15:24:29 UTC 2022

Hi,

No, if you use an app password, your email client would log in using
that password. No need for one time password verification. OTPs are used
when you want to access a resource via a web interface. The whole idea
of an app password is that a machine logs into a resource using its own
dedicated password. So that password is specific to that machine or
application. If any security breach happens through that machine, it
would not compromise other parts of the system. For example, if you lose
your phone or computer that is already logged in with the app password,
you can simply log into Gmail and disable that password. In any case,
the password is for email access and not for say, Google drive. So you
can use your app password safely.

I think it is prudent that if any service you use has got two-factor,
just generate an app password and turn two-factor on. Then supply the
app password to Mutt and pull your emails.