"Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Aug 14 14:52:33 UTC 2022

No, it seems you are the person I have to thank. It was indeed the Linux
version of the FreedomBox browser I used at that time, and it was a game
changer. I started with Linux in early 2003, finding it to be overall
far superior to anything I had used before it, mostly Microsoft's Dos,
Windows 3.1, 98, ME and XP. But I had to keep my less than legal XP and
my illegally authorized Jaws at that time because of issues I had
working with banking and other online payment systems and other sites
that had already lost, or possibly never had, the ability to work well
in text-mode browsers. Yes, that self-voicing browser, I seem to recall
it speaking using DECTalk speech, was indeed a game changer, and I see
that my gratitude is not misplaced after all. Back at that time, I was
doing everything in text mode and had to startx to get to a graphical
session that could run the browser, but fortunately, by the time the
Linux version of the FreedomBox browser stopped working, I was able to
use Firefox with the screen reader called Gnopernicus, so I never again
had to find an illegal copy of XP or Jaws so that I could pay my bills
and shop and other things that required a fully graphical browser. So
yes, thank you and Serotek for getting me over the last hurdle to using
Linux full-time, and thanks also to Sun Microsystems, Igalia and many
others for all the work that has gone into overall accessibility of
graphical desktop environments and Linux applications since then.~Kyle