Meta: Sender names on the Blinux list

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Aug 14 17:19:33 UTC 2022

Depending on your linux setup, use of procmail and spamassassin can weed
spam out and do it effectively.
The squirrelmail system isn't fully accessible with lynx and that's why I
don't use it.  I have email put in maildir format too since that way
malware filtering is easier too since the whole mbox file isn't
quarrantined but only the specific messages holding the malware.
The keys to managing spam is the ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file.  You can
edit that with a text editor and so long as you get your formats correct,
it will work.
If I don't get useful mail from @spam.com, I put an entry like
BLACKLIST-FROM <tab>*@spam.com
in user_prefs and save that file then delete the offender from my inbox.
That * is important since anything from that domain gets blocked.
Depending on how spamassassin is set up, it can potentially report all of
that spam to data bases which will help adjust spamassassin for others.
This is admittedly a command line spam management approach but I find it
effective.  Something else to do is to copy that user_prefs file to one or
more other locations maybe with different names so anyone hacking your
system won't be able to permanently erase your work.