"Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 03:09:26 UTC 2022

Folks might also remember Matt for trplayer, which was a Linux console
> player for RealAudio streams.

Wow it has been a long time indeed, but I actually do remember trplayer.
I didn't use zipslack or zipspeak, but I did start with Slackware
running the speakup.i kernel. I very quickly switched to Red Hat 9
because it had more available packages,, but I did have to use the
telnet install at that time with a second computer that had Speakup
already installed, because there was no precompiled speakup kernel at
that time, but I braved kernel compilation to get Red Hat working and
speaking, especially after I figured out just how easy it was to build
rpm packages at that time. Actually, it's still fairly easy to build rpm
packages these days, even though the system is a bit more complex than
it once was. Fortunately we have really good package management now that
we didn't have back in those days. Still, even with the evolution of
Linux over the years, it is still by far the easiest to use, especially
since I'm a bit too old now to learn the latest Microsoft crap that I
abandoned so many years ago.

~Kyle