"Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 13:25:55 UTC 2022

For me, I still love Linux enough to keep up with the accessibility stuff,
and even try it every six months or so. However, the last time I tried it,
Orca was so unstable that I managed to crash it by pressing Alt + Tab. Now,
this was on an HP Pavilian laptop, but I don't see how any lack of hardware
drivers would *only* effect accessibility. I tried Fedora, Ubuntu, and I
think Mint. All performed the same. Well, Ubuntu lasted a bit longer but
still, wow. Now, before I get another batch of complain-mail, I'm not
saying Linux isn't usable for those who don't have demanding jobs with
oodles of rolls to fill and hats to wear and people to work with. It's nice
for home users and simple tasks, and even some development, in Emacs or
Nano or VIM or whatever. But it's not ready for *me* yet, and the people
who still develop NVDA addons, apps like Tweesecake and Bookworm, and
remote desktop solutions, all show, to me at least, that Linux isn't ready
for them yet either. I could be wrong. I admit it. But those are my
opinions, backed up by *my* experiences.
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater at gmail.com