"Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 15:01:00 UTC 2022

See I'm curious. I've been watching this thread and figured I'd leap in.
My setup is I havve a WM going, Ratpoison in my case find terminal
things easier to use, for example pipe-viewer for Youtube videos without
fighting with the frankly, clunky and obtuse Youtube main site that's
trying to force me to bee Google's slave.

So I'm in this weird spot where I'm using, say, Firefox or web browsing,
but say if I download a news article or something for, let's say, a blog
post and I need to quickly grab text I find it quicker for me to fire up
w3m in my terminal, select what I want and copy it that way, than use
Firefox to do the same task.

Or for email, I prefer the quickness and ease of use of Mutt, I can go
in, delete a bunch of emails for example, without having to deal with
Thunderbird/Evolution's laginess and Orca freezing up in a folder with
thousands of messages for example.

I'd argue that trying to force GUI usage isn't really the right
approach, instead more of okay, here's a set of tools, some or CLI, some
are GUI, use what works for you and your use cases. I can't use GUI
tools when SSHing into a machine really, so personally, I'm in this
hybrid sort of setup where I do have a window manager and access to
graphical apps, but I prefer to use the terminal and CLI for several
things that I find too clunky with a desktop. That and I don't have to
deal withh things such as Orca getting stuck in a CLI app, that doesn't
happen at all.

So TL:DR Use what works for you no matter if it's CLI or GUI, use what
suits you best IMO