"Accessibility in Fedora Workstation" (fwd)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 17:11:14 UTC 2022

Meantime, over this side of the Pond, the RNIB has a reputation of being
for old people.

See people rag on Narrator, but it's come on leaps and bounds.

So has Orca. I'd argue if you're on an LTS release, or a distro that
makes it hard to upgrade your Orca, you get a poor experience of it.
Looking at you, Debian and derivatives that ship with 3.3X instead of
Gnome and Gnome stacks of 40-42.X. Don't get me wrong, the idea of
stable, if old, software is great. But just as web browsers are updated
for security. I'd like to see A11Y stuff updated as well. Admittedly, I
can already imagine how much dependcy hell that would cause for
something like Ubuntu or Debian or Mint however.

That being said I'm now wondering if Orca could be offered as an all in
one bundle, such as an appimage or flatpack that could be plugged in and
ran. I don't know if what I'm on about is possible, really.

Also having read up on the abuse, I'm just going to point out it's not a
one time thing. Or limited to the NFB, large organizations have a
history of covering up whatever they choose to. Look at Enron for the
poster child of fraud, the Catholic Church or other religions for poster
examples of how to cover up abuse though

Also, I'd be interested in reading up more on the NFB wanting MS to not
develop A11Y tech for ear of competing. That sounds like the same thing
MS was doing in the mid-late 90s as ar as anti competitive practices
which led to the DoJ legal issues though.