Is there a Fedora Espeakup Package?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Dec 26 10:16:05 UTC 2022

Until his passing, Bill Acker would build kernels for Fedora releases
modified to include Speakup. I considered taking that up, but decided
the learning curve and time investment was greater than I cared to
commit to the task. Instead, I switched to Arch on my personal machines,
though my Linode hosted server still runs Fedora.

To put it differently, Fedora has not supported cli screen readers for
well over a decade. The last I recall Redhat including Speakup was the
ill-considered inclusion of it in Redhat 8.0. Why ill considered?
Because of unintended consequences for i18n.

If you must use Fedora in the cli you have to roll your own, or perhaps
more achievably simply run Fenrir.

Best,

Janina