Remaining DecTalk Issues in Speakup?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Feb 1 15:51:49 UTC 2022

Howdy Chime ,

> While Fenrir has many more options, I have not heard of it support
> DecTalk?
fenrir supports dectalk using emacspeak speech back-end. this is
currently very experimental lacking testers or users.
it requres
- emacspeak somewhere on hard disc
- python-pexpect
- tcl / tclsh
- set speech driver to "emacspeakDriver"
- set  speech serverPath in your settings.conf for emacspeak to your TTS
server to use:
serverPath=/home/chrys/Projekte/emacspeak/servers/espeak
is what i used for test it with espeak.

again, its still very untested ( i don´t own most of the devices listed
for emacspeak) and experimental

to maybe not break an existing setup. you can test it by passing the
settings  wit -o parameter at startup once

sudo fenrir -o
"speech#driver=emacspeakDriver;speech#serverPath=/path/to/your/emacspeak/server"

or create an copy of the settings.conf, change the required parameters
and use
sudo fenrir -s /path/to/your/copy/of/fenrir/settings.conf
to use an given setting file.

if wit works, awesome :). if not, let me know. maybe we can fix it.

good luck.

cheers chrys