shell brace expansion (was "regex help")

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 04:08:10 UTC 2022

So, the syntax is

start value double dot end value double dot step increment

and if the third value is omitted, it defaults to steps of 1.

This is what I like about Linux, even after a decade-and-a-half of
using it daily, I still occasionally learn new tricks... and it's
because there's so much functionality hidden among the dozens, if not
hundreds of little utilities found on just about every Linux system
and not because some corporate executive insists on overhauling the UI
with every major release so the marketing department has something to
show off.

mkdir {0..9}

certainly beats

mkdir 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

for the next time I find myself with a bunch of files with nondescript
filenames to organize and I want to divide them into smaller sets.