How do you customize the way punctuations are pronounced in Orca?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Feb 14 16:23:45 UTC 2022

Well, even Orca isn't consistent with how it handles #, saying
"number" as I type or read character-by-character, but saying "hash"
when reading line-by-line or reading all. Orca also read * as star
when typing or reading character-by-character, but asterisk when
reading line-by-line... admittedly, the latter might be a good thing,
star is a common enough word and * a common enough symbol that
distinguishing the word from the symbol is probably useful. Hash is a
rare enough word that it's probably safe to assume the symbol in most
ambiguous contexts.

On a somewhat related note, part of me wants to force my screen
readers to pronounce W as "vey". Is there a way to do that short of
switching to German and likely screwing up all other pronunciations in
the process?

W sticks out like a sore thumb in the English Alphabet, both in
pronunciation and Braille, and while the latter can be blamed on
French not having W, I don't know what's up with the pronunciation
when English  has roots in the Germanic Anglo-Saxon language and
modern German has a monosyllabic name for it.