debuan getting web suppression

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Feb 18 18:52:22 UTC 2022

> On Feb 18, 2022, at 02:18, someone (?) wrote:
>
> For now and I don't know how far back, debuan has been getting web
> suppression.  This can be called web suppression since popularity is not
> the only way to have things moved up in web rankings.  This also happens
> by means of manipulation of keywords among other strategies.  I don't know
> if debuan got killed off by the pandemic in addition to web suppression
> but this is what has happened.

Erm, no...  Problems with typos (debuan vs. devuan) aside, assuming that all the folks running search engines are conspiring to make a Linux distro hard to find seems a bit far fetched to me.

Even thinking that Google is plotting against devuan is a bit hard to imagine.  So, out of curiosity, I did a (very tiny) experiment.  When I put "debuan" into a Google search field, the page that returned said:

> About 40,400 results (0.62 seconds)
> Did you mean: debian
>
> Search Results
>
> debuan | systemd-free linux community
> Posts about debuan written by sysdfree-editor.

The above link (https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/tag/debuan/) went to a page containing a vitriolic screed against Debian.  Yeeps!

However, the results page also contained the following inset box:

> See results about
>
> Debian GNU/Linux
> Software
>
> Devuan
> Operating system

Clicking the second one brought me to a search results page for Devuan:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Devuan

So, let's all try to dig a bit harder before creating and promulgating yet another conspiracy theory.  There's more than enough of those floating around already...

- Rich Morin