Snap, Flatpak and/or AppImages?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 20:57:34 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Am just curious, which of the 3 multi-distro distribution formats do you
prefer?

I am most familiar with flatpak, for the very simple reason, Slint comes
with it setup by default.

Some software I require for making a living, (Zoom and Skype) is not
available as SlackBuilds, and making those from .rpm or .deb files is
doable, but frankly a pain.

I tested the unstable build of Chrome as a flatpak, but it's very
limited in what you can really do with it, so no installing a browser
this way.

Snapd as I stated in a previous message doesn't run at all on anything
based on Slackware 14.2, however I cannot speak for Slackware 15 as of
yet. Seeing that Snapd requires some systemd packages as dependencies, I
do not foresee this changing anytime soon.

I really cannot speak at all on AppImages for the simple reason, I've
never needed one. If you happen to know more about this than I, which
shouldn't be hard, please enlighten me on the subject.

--
Warm regards,

Brandt Steenkamp

Sent using Thunderbird from the Slint machine