Recovering shift deleted data

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Jan 1 19:17:06 UTC 2022

Tim here.  I'm not quite sure what "recovery shift deleted" means.
Or at least what the "shift" part does.

A couple different possibilities:

- "extundelete" is available in my package repos which might be
  enough, but the process of installing it might end up writing over
  the blocks you want to preserve.

- there's "recoverjpeg" which works by scrounging sectors of your
  hard-drive for any data that looks like a .jpg or .mov file (you
  don't mention what file-type it was)

Restarting shouldn't impact the ability to recover, but writing any
data to that drive may.  As such, I'd boot a different Linux machine
if you have one (or boot a different drive), then install extundelete
or recoverjpeg on that, then attach the disk containing the data and
see if it can salvage your data.  I've done this before booting from
a live USB/CD, installing the recovery package into the virtual disk
(both are pretty small), then recovering a friend's only copies of
their kid growing up.

Hope this helps,

-Tim