Recovering shift deleted data

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 18:35:10 UTC 2022

Tim here.  I'm unfamiliar with how the dictaphone connects or what
file-system it exposes (most likely a FAT filesystem rather than an
EXT filesystem).  If it is a FAT drive, you might have "testdisk" in
your repo that should allow you to undelete files from a FAT drive.
There's a pretty good write-up of steps here

https://linuxconfig.org/data-recovery-of-deleted-files-from-the-fat-filesystem

that might help you out in that case.

The last time I had to recover deleted files on a FAT drive, I
believe part of the deletion process obliterated the first letter of
the filename, so you had to provide that when restoring (so a file
named "vojita.txt" would show up in old directory listings as
"?ojita.txt" and you'd have to provide the "v" at the beginning).

Hope this helps,

-tim