OCRdesktop 3.0 Released

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jan 16 13:44:50 UTC 2022

Howdy Rastislav, Howdy List,

thank you very much for the nice feedback. Hearing stuff like that is
very motivating.

i was very busy the last couple of days :). Not sure if you know, there
was a small tool named OCRPDF born out of the OCRdesktop code. its for
quick OCR Image and PDF files. this broke as well. So i decide to
reunion the code bases. I also did a lot of improvements and cleanups
while doing that.
result:
you can now OCR files like images, PDFs (also with multiple pages) with
OCRdesktop. For this, its also quite optional now having a UI. because
OCRdesktop can pipe the result to STDOUT.

See here for the complete story:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/61131455
https://www.patreon.com/posts/61228691

there is also some goodie information about OCR the clipboard content in
my blog you might be interested in.

if you like my work you can support me on patreon if you want 8).

i have some other ideas i wanna bring in next couple of weeks:

- multiprocessing for OCR PDF files for performance speedup
- something essential as a loading bar while OCR process (lol)
- i have an idea for a while, tesseract creates some noise when OCR
widgets. i.e. a checkbox is detected as a Q. i want to suggest this
common pattern at details page.

i would say, we set then OCRdesktop on steroids 8-), i will return to
migrate Orca to an plugin driven architecture.

cheers chrys