looking for accessible music library app

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Jan 17 03:58:26 UTC 2022

I'm currently using Clementine here. This has library database
functionality, although like I said, I don't know how that works. It
does create playlists in a pretty straight-forward way. As for
organizing my music, I still find the local filesystem to be the best
method of organization, as it doesn't rely on tags, which can be
incorrect at times, especially if I get something from a CD that had a
misspelling in an artist name or similar in CDDB that I didn't catch
right away. Also, depending on where you get your music, sometimes tags
can be missing entirely, in which case, your library database usually
won't even see it, or it will organize it according to unknown artist
unknown album unknown song, even if the filename is correct. So I
usually just stick to folder organization, and I can still create
playlists with exactly the songs I want. Clementine even saves playlists
in xspf (XML shareable playlist format), which can be played in other
players fairly easily, and has the added benefit of being able to store
more details about each song than most other playlist formats, making
each song provide the same amount of detail in any player that plays it
via your playlist. This detail can even be used in some players to
create tags in the song file itself, so that if you do rely on a library
database rather than just folders and filenames, fixing it once in the
playlist will sometimes fix it in the library database by fixing the
file's tags.

~Kyle