starting out with linux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 15:18:45 UTC 2022

Looks like some distros don't have it by default. My Fedora has it, but
Arch does not. However, I don't think that means it won't recognize it
if it's added. I seem to recall creating /etc/vconsole.conf being one of
the steps of Arch installation if you don't use the US keyboard layout.
Still, as I recall, I think it only works for the text console, not the
graphical one, as the desktop layout is controlled at the X server
level. I do know that changing the keyboard layout in MATE is not
editing /etc/vconsole.conf, and I'm fairly certain that GNOME isn't
using that file either.

~Kyle