Running a Linux VM on Windows and making it talk?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 11:48:58 UTC 2022

On Wed, 19 Jan 2022, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> In my operating systems course, we are supposed to run a Linux machine
> inside Virtualbox. How is this done on a Windows machine? Can I start Orca
> in the virtual machine somehow?

For work, I have a Linux VM running under Windows.  I use the command line
environment to do tech stuff that I find easier than trying to do it in
Windows.

I initially triede setting up a VM under Virtualbox, but I had issues with
the UI and managed to disconnect the virtual hard disk from the machine
before I'd even booted it for the first time.   So I got work to cough up
for VMWare Player.

VMWare Player is free for personal use, not sure if this covers a study
course (it probably doesn't).  But it's not very expensive and you
totally do not need Player Pro.

I just set it up on my home Windows laptop with no hassles at all.

Once you have it running, you can use control-g to switch the keyboard to
the VM, and control-alt to switch the keyboard back to Windows.

Oh and do not install the enhanced keyboard driver that VMWare offers,
apparently it causes big problems with Windows screen readers.

I've not tried running a GUI under VMWare, but I don't expect any issues.

I hope that the Virtualbox UI is better now than it was 6 years ago.

HTH,
Geoff.