Running a Linux VM on Windows and making it talk?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 10:56:34 UTC 2022

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:

> I am also using VMware player and Workstation Pro on Windows 10 for linux
> guests and generaly I am very happy with this kind of setup. I've activated
> the enhanced keyboard drivers from VMware and I can not say that they cause
> problems with NVDA or Jaws, but maybe I just do not notice them :-). What
> kind of problems are this? Do you have any examples?

I'm sorry, I don't have specifics.  I've not done it myself but a friend
told me they had all sorts of problems with it. I will ask for details.

> TBH I do not even know what the enhanced keyboard driver does... If it
> rellay causes problems maybe I should also uninstall it...

Well if it works for you then I'd leave it.

> BTW.: Have you managed  to copy content from the Windows clipboard into a
> console of the linux guest or do you know if this is possible by using just
> the keyboard? Is this what the enhanced keyboard driver is necessary for?
> And is tere a way to copy the content of the clipboard from the Linux guest
> to the Windows host?

>From what I've managed to find, the only way this is provided is via the
guest desktop.  I've not found a way to use the clipboard to share between
the Linux CLI and the Windows host.

This frustrates me as I'm sure the data from the clipboard could be
accessed via some API in the CLI.  I'd be willing to look into this
further.

For now, I have the documents folder mounted in the Linux guest (by
default it shows up under /mnt/hgfs/Documents), and I use a text file to
share stuff between the host and guest.

Cheers,
Geoff.