Converting text to mp3

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jan 26 18:40:56 UTC 2022

Tim here

> it will read Czech text in English.

I'm afraid I don't have much input on this, but

> dividing the mp3 file to more files with 10 minutes length?

I use "mp3splt" (that's "MP3 split" without the letter "i") to chop
up my MP3 files without losing audio quality

http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/documentation.php

So to split in 10-minute increments, you should be able to

  $ mp3splt file.mp3 0 10 20 30 EOF

to split into 4 files, the first 3 of 10 minutes each and the last
one containing the rest of the MP3.  If you have a bunch of them, you
can use shell expansion to make that easier:

  $ mp3splt file.mp3 0 {1.50}0.0 EOF

will split from 0-10 minutes, 10-20 minutes, 20-30 minutes, etc, up
to 500 minutes through the end of the file.

There are a bunch of other options for nudging split-points based on
silence detection (helps prevent cutting off one file in the middle
of an utterance), the format for the output filenames, adjusting MP3
tags for the output, and doing a dry-run to test before actually
doing the work.

I use it regularly to hack off podcast advertisements that fall at
the beginning/end of a file (there's one I listen to that has roughly
7 minutes of ads & filler at the beginning of a 2-4hr podcast, so
hacking off the first 7 minutes loses almost nothing)

Hope this helps,

-Tim