Converting text to mp3

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jan 26 22:34:44 UTC 2022

DECTalk hardware is by definition text-to speech technology, as it takes
marked up text, but can also take text without any markup, and it
converts it to audible speech. It in fact does exactly what a software
speech synthesizer does, but it does it over a cable instead of via a
virtual cable, pipe or library of functions. In fact, DECTalk once was a
software speech synthesizer that sounded almost exactly like the
hardware, as it was most likely the same software internal code of the
hardware adapted to be able to use the hardware found in a PC. In fact,
if you can still find this old DECTalk software, as I recall, it was
able to take your text and create .wav files in much the same way that
newer software speech synthesizers can do now. I know that people were
making it sing, not by recording their hardware, but by making and
mixing .wav files produced by the software. And any .wav file can be
converted to mp3 using lame, which is one possible answer to the thread
starter's question.

~Kyle