Why do you use Linux? expanded from Converting text to mp3

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jan 27 02:59:01 UTC 2022

Hi Karen-and-thanks for an introspective topic. My road to Linux was a slow
transition. I had my first PC with DOS6 from 1994-97. Got windows95 so I would
have an easier time playing mp3s, which were fairly new at that time. The
concept of just being able to mash enter on a highlighted file to play was
appealing. But a majority of the time I was stilling going to a DOS prompt to
get in to a shell account to read mail in what was then pine. In 2003 once the
late Bill Acker helped set me up with DecPC drivers, we tried a duel boot
system, including first Redhat9 and later Fedora. Because there were so many
anoying issues with those DecTalk drivers, I found myself going back to windows
where DecTalk sounded great. Maybe early 2005 got either a newer pc and
certainly a USB DecTalk, which I still have. 1 night in 2006 a friend from
HighSchool was here, I tried playing him a Weird Al video, but each time
Windows Media Player would lockup. I finally just went back in Linux-and-played
him an audio version. Next time we went from Fedora 6 to 9 we practicly had a
ceremony when we got rid of windows forever. In 2010 with needing a new PC, I
switched to Debian, as they have more of the latest packages.
In 2006 I got involved with a local Linux LUG, where I occasionally received
many hours of valuable asistance-and-even sometimes I was able to help.
Even though I have many struggles with web-sites which I cannot access because
of the javascript disease, I am still willing to stick with Linux, as once its
setup, it is a comfortable envirenment.
I have a Chromebook which I almost exclusively only attend Zoom meetings, as
far as I know, no1 has  written any commandline scripts to run Zoom in a
non-graphical setting. I also have a Mac but have not really looked in to
classes at an Apple store, but at least all of these machines have Linux I can
run.
Just last evening I was trying to help my Wife in windows7 but its practicly a
foreign language now from win98.
And lastly Karen, Linux provides me so much customization. I have 24 text
consoles. My Linux expert wrote me software to play-and-record streams with 4
sound-cards. I think I recorded maybe 10 streams at a time-and-later edited
them, as well as ajusting levels. So I have `much flexibility in Linux-and-am
`really happy here at nearly 70 next month. Thanks so much for listening
Chime