Why do you use Linux? expanded from Converting text to mp3

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Jan 27 03:21:57 UTC 2022

I use linux exclusively and for several reasons.

1. I worked in Unix and  SunOS since 1986. So Linux was a familiar environment
to transition into.

2. Because once I get it  to work, it works. That keyboard configuration I mentioned
occurred years ago and I haven't touched it since not even when I switched to a different machine. Not even when I switched to different keyboards.
Not even when I switched to different versions of Linux.

3. Linux does what I want without backtalk, second guessing, ads, unwanted upgrading, or mysterious crashes.

4. Linux trades learning for power and flexibility.
The few times   I tried learning Windows I quickly grew frustrated at just how limited the software was and
how it forced the user to do things its way instead of letting me do them MY way.
I spent more time fighting with windows than getting things done.

5. Everyone I know who uses Windows, spends far too much time complaining about windows, fixing the
many problems windows causes by its quirks, arcane mysteries, shortcomings, and built in faults,
so I see no reason to give it yet another try.