I3wm, any progress?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 17:51:31 UTC 2022

Well, for one thing, an 11-year-old I7 will beat out an 11-year-old ARM
machine, but a Raspberry Pi 4 for example will probably give it a run
for its money, not to mention the fact that the I3, I5 and I7 are all at
least 12 years old in any case. The bottleneck in the Raspberry Pi 4 is
probably the i/o more than processing, although they seem to have fixed
a good bit of the i/o issues of earlier incarnations. I do want to see a
RISC-V computer in the not-too-distant future, as that should blow
everything out of the water by all accounts, and the architecture is
open source, and is said to be capable of 128-bit computing.

Regarding the scripts that run Firefox and whatnot, these are still in
the repository at

https://gitlab.com/f123/Kies

Everything you need is in the folder called kies_wrappers. They used
startx to run jwm and Orca in the background and Firefox and some other
apps on top. These certainly could be modified to run flwm instead of
jwm. As I recall, there were also scripts or functions that would stop
Fenrir trying to speak the graphical console.

~Kyle