A question about how to install Lennix as a second operating system on a modern Dell laptop?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sun Jul 24 17:28:12 UTC 2022

There was a method I used back in the early 2000’s that pretty much had a large image file (about 120 GB), a folder with the batch file, VMLinuz kernel image and a couple of other files in there. You would start windows normally, then open a CMD.exe window, cd to the folder (located in the root level of the drive) and then run the batch file. It would kick out windows and immediately start up linux on the hosted image file (which is formatted exactly like a HDD image, including partition table, etc). The result would be that windows receives the equivalent of an immediate reboot without any other conditions and when you are done in linux, you can do a standard shutdown and restart and windows will be reloaded like it’s in a new session.

It’s been a very long time since I did anything like this, so, I will have to search for it on the net and see if it’s still viable. Btw, I did this on both a win2k machine and also a windows 7 laptop, so I know it worked.

-Eric