Snap, Flatpak and/or AppImages?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 22:08:45 UTC 2022

So it does seem then like appImages are the way to go. It sounds like we
get the absolute best of every possible scenario in this seemingly
antiquated but actually highly innovative portable app technology. Why
oh why do we have people saying that flatpak is the future, or worse,
snapd is the future, when we have appImages that are highly portable,
and can even be sandboxed in much the same way, but are much more
versatile owing to the portability? It's really nice to be able to put
all the appImages I need on a USB drive and just use them on any Linux
computer. I guess the one drawback I can see is the update problem,
where most don't update themselves, but having repositories and appImage
managers available would seem to resolve that issue, also in a highly
portable way.

~Kyle