Starting lightdm in text mode

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 10:19:16 UTC 2022

Hi John,

I fail to see how not having lightdm installed cane prevent you to start Mate.

Here (Slint, not Debian), after having selected Mate as desktop with the
session-chooser command, just typing startx starts Mate.

Then from Mate just pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 through Ctrl+Alt+F6 make you switch one
of the consoles (tty2 through tty6), keeping Braille in all environments.

You can also switch back to Mate pressing Alt+F7 and also switch to froma a
console to another one (number n) pressing Alt+Fn.

Anyway you could post in the debian-accessibilty mailing list to get help on
Debian specific issues.

Cheers,
Didier
--