timidity question

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 14:41:25 UTC 2022

You need a soundfont in order to play sound. You should have a
configuration file either in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg,
/etc/timidity/timidity++.cfg, /etc/timidity++/timidity.cfg,
/etc/timidity++/timidity++.cfg, /etc/timidity.cfg or
/etc/timidity++.cfg. In whatever of those files you have, you should
have a line that looks like

soundfont /usr/share/soundfonts/something/sf2

You will need to uncomment this line if it's commented out, and point it
to the soundfont you want to use. Most distributions have the Fluid
soundfonts, so your line may look like

soundfont /usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM.sf2

If you have others, you can use whichever one you like, just be sure
that you point the soundfont line as above to the file you want to use.
I like to have several different soundfonts for various pieces of music.
So I have several lines similar to this, and I like to uncomment the
line I want to use and leave the comments on the rest of them.

~Kyle