getting started with Liblouis

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 00:00:02 UTC 2022

Greetings!

I'm trying to find out how to use Liblouis to translate documents from
print to Braille.  Specifically, my wife would like me to find out how
to translate Russian documents into Braille ones.  At the moment,
though, I haven't yet learned a command to run for translating
anything:  the Liblouis documentation looks to have a lot of useful
material, but I could find nothing about running a command, with
whatever arguments and options I might need, to create a Braille output
file from a print input file.

I read about a command called file2brl, apparently part of a program
called Liblouisutdml, but that program's not on my system even though
Liblouis itself is.

So far searching the net has provided no wisdom for what I think I need
at this beginning point.  I'd be grateful if somebody can point me to
good information that I have missed so far.

I stress that, although my goal is to help my wife get some Russian
Braille so that she can perhaps return to the study of something that
was her passion in academia, I need right now to start with the very
basics of even creating English Braille files from documents I have.

I hope I've asked my questions in the right way.

Thanks for any information.

Best!

Al