OT: alexandria.org

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 19:12:27 UTC 2022

I'll try it out, but slightly OT that I can't ever seem to get new
results on DDG. If this turns out as good as DDG I could definitely use it

Alexandria.org won't give anywhere near the results of DDG just yet,
since it's really quite new and is still in early development. But I
have found that searx-powered sites give better results than DDG, but
without the Microsoft-powered ads. It seems since Microsoft all but took
over DDG's operations, placing ads and running the DDG servers on MSN
IP's, DDG went down hill fast, offering less results and more irrelevant
results that don't even seem to match the query. My recommendation for
now is to try alexandria.org first, since its results are fairly limited
and small in number for now, and then find a site near you on

https://searx.space

that runs one of the latest versions of the searx or searx-ng software.
The most daring among us may enjoy presearch.org also because it's much
like DDG, but is not powered by Microsoft in any way other than using
their API to get Bing results, just as it uses Google to get Google
results. Like DDG and Searx, Presearch just searches existing search
engines for now, although they are said to be looking at becoming a real
search engine at some point. Still, unless you want to brave the ad
placement that's done via the presearch keyword staking platform,
Searx-ng and alexandria.org would appear to be the best recommendations
at this time.

~Kyle