libvirt/qemu and dns

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 17:45:55 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 08:31:17AM -0500, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
>I have a win10 virtual machine running in libvirt via qemu with the
>default NAT network set up by libvirt. I'm able to ping IP addresses but
>not resolve dns. On the host, I have systemd-resolved. I was going to
>start setting up a bridged network, but I thought of this first. Do I need
>to do something with systemd-resolved to get my virtual machines to play
>nicely with the network?

Per default dns resolution is working when using libvirt and let the
machines run in nated network mode.

What are the dns settings in your Windows vm? Is the dns server also the
gateway address? Per default and if you not have changed the
libvirt default network it should be 192.168.122.1 ?

Is the default network in libvirt running? Whats the output of

virsh net-list

If no running network is listed start the default network with the following
command:

virsh net-start --network default

And mark it for autostart:

virsh net-autostart default

Can you see a dnsmasq process on your host machine? This dnsmasq is the dns
server used by libvirt for dns resolution inside the vm's running in nated
mode.

Cheers,

  Schoepp