Accessible ftp

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 30 16:49:35 UTC 2022

Tim here.  I've always just used the command-line client (since the
late 80s or early 90s over dial-up?) which is accessible as any other
CLI application:

  $ ftp ftp.example.com
  ftp> ls
  [files & directories]
  ftp> cd /pub
  ftp> ls
  [files & directories in /pub]
  ftp> bin
  200 Type set to I.
  ftp> get some_file.zip
  [file downloads]
  ftp> put local_file.mp3
  [uploads "local_file.mp3" to the server]

If you're only transferring text documents, you can skip the "bin"ary
command, letting it jockey line-endings for you.  But most of the
time you want to use "bin"ary mode to ensure the file doesn't have
newline-translation during transfer.

-Tim