Is there a Fedora Espeakup Package?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 15:04:17 UTC 2022

According to Didier
> Caveat: I do not own a Braille device - and would not know how to use it, anyway...

That's OK. Brltty actually doesn't need a braille device. Some time back
it could double as a screen reader even though braille is still its
primary focus. As I recall, there is a dummy braille driver that can be
used in lieu of a braille display when using brltty for only speech output.

I haven't tried the screen reader portion of it either, but I do recall
certain improvements over the years that made it useful in that
capacity. I'm certain it won't replace Orca on the desktop, but for text
use, it seems that now it may be useful. Since it can run as a system
service, instead of as a subshell, it can certainly replace things like
tdsr, since it doesn't require that a user be logged in to get it
speaking. Brltty is also reported to work on FreeBSD and such, so I
would be interested to know how well the screen reader portion works
there as well.

~Kyle