Is there a Fedora Espeakup Package?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 18:44:07 UTC 2022

I had heard of brltty, butt never have known what may be done with it.

Well, usually brltty is thought of as the interface between your
computer and a refreshable braille display, and also allows screen
readers to provide braille output via its brlapi functionality. But
brltty can act as a stand-alone screen reader in text mode as well. I
don't believe brlapi provides speech output, since the applications that
would use that feature are probably already using speech-dispatcher
directly, but brltty itself when running as a system service does in
fact output to speech-dispatcher, and I believe it has keyboard
shortcuts that do not require braille display input for its screen
review functionality, among other screen reader functions. That said, I
probably should try this myself before I just let my fingers keep
running wild.

~Kyle