Turning off screen in Linux

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 15:28:58 UTC 2022

Tim again.  There are multiple factors that go into it:

- the size of the screen

- the brightness of the screen

- how long it's on

An extra 20 minutes is an extra 20 minutes.  Or maybe going screenless
gets you more like hours of savings.  Either way, if you don't need
it because you have audio/braille as your output interface, turning
off the screen completely is 100% free battery savings.

I know with my phone, when I'm using the screen a lot, the battery
has usually dropped to around 40% when I put it on the charger for
the night.  When I'm using it mostly screenless (podcasts & calls),
it's usually more like 60% when I put it on the charger.

-tim