In the market for a new Desktop.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 21:02:48 UTC 2023

Is it still worth doing a custom build these days? I've generally done
that, except for the current desktop, because I got a good sale price on
it. It seems to me that might save ya few  coins or at least let you
spend coins on parts you actually care about. Since you know what you
want, it doesn't make sense to get a prebuilt box. I usually get as much
RAM as the board will handle and the fattest CPU the board will take,
and then skimp on most other things, because I don't typically heavily
use the GPU. RAM tends to be what you run out of first, so empty slots
are a crime and should be filled. Get 16 GB or more of that, and you can
skip the swap partition and get a speed boost.