In the market for a new Desktop.

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 22:35:12 UTC 2023

On 13/4/23 16:55, Linux for blind general discussion wrote:
> I'd like to spend $700 or less, but I've secured funding that will let
> me go as high as $1000.
>
> Based on past experience, I'd like to get another HP Desktop since
> every HP me or my family has owned lasted over a decade of daily use
> in less than ideal operating environments

A participant in one of the Linux-related mailing lists to which I
subscribe uses an HP server as his desktop workstation. I can't remember
the model, but it's designed to be a relatively quiet machine that can
run in an office environment - it isn't one of those noisy systems which
needs to be kept in a data centre. It probably has remote administration
capabilities as well.

You could probably obtain one at a good price from a company that sells
ex-corporate hardware (machines that have been used for several years in
a corporate environment and which are now being sold on).

Further afield, System76 is a well known vendor of Linux machines,
although I haven't checked whether they offer anything within your budget.