[Cluster-devel] [GFS2 Patch] pass formal ino in do_filldir_main

Wendy Cheng wcheng at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 20:04:25 UTC 2007

Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> In the mean time no_formal_ino will still exist, its just that it won't
> be used as the lookup key, so theres no on-disk format change to
> consider here, all the same fields will continue to have the same
> values, so there should be no problem to use it again if required at a
> later date,

ok, as long as we don't rush into removing the code, this is an
acceptable plan. We can discuss the issue further when we meet
face-to-face next month. In the mean time, will go ahead to make lookup
code consistent by tentatively putting no_formal_ino aside. Without the
changes, half of the current NFS lookups would fail. We need to have
something working right now.

I also invite Kent Baxley (one of our TAMs) here to help out with the
issue. I recalled he mentioned sometime ago that the "create" table in
GFS2-mySQL benchmark was noticeably slow - not sure whether
pick_formal_ino() plays any role there. Will give him two gfs2.ko to
re-run the benchmark and see what we get.

-- Wendy