[Cluster-devel] STABLE cluster branch?!

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 15:27:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 05:18:10PM +0200, Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration | Westermann GmbH ] wrote:
> I think a separate branch which follows the last released vanilla kernel
> tree for gfs2 could be useful while there is so much movement in HEAD.
> Merging HEAD into that branch after each merge window on Linus tree
> could minimize the needed manpower and the release of tarballs would
> also require less time out of that branch. Adopters of the tarball could
> get fixes from there too. Before gfs2 the STABLE branch was exactly that
> or wasn't it?

You have a good point, we've been talking about creating a STABLE2 branch
that's equivalent to the RHEL5 branch except follows upstream kernels.
(Same way the RHEL4/STABLE branches worked.) We're hoping to wait a while
longer before doing that, though.  A little more discipline about what's
checked into HEAD will make HEAD as effective (for now) as STABLE2.

Dave