[Cluster-devel] [RFC 07/11] 9p: Stop using the generic xattr_handler infrastructure

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Fri Aug 21 06:46:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 08:19:54PM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> Of all the file systems that use the generic xattr handler infrastructure, 9p
> is the only one that needs dentries inside the xattr file system code.  Open
> code the xattr handling code in 9p so that we can then convert the generic code
> to pass down inodes instead of dentries; this actually takes only little
> additional code.

NAK.  The rest of the series looks somewhat sensible but this is wrong.

We need want to converge to one interface, probably more similar to the
handlers, so we need to decided if we want to pass dentries or inodes to
both of them.

Personally I'm in favor of inodes, and that's how it used to be, but
that makes life more complicated for path based file systems like cifs
or 9p.