[Container-tools] outside access to Docker daemon in CDK

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 16:52:37 UTC 2015

>> Don't do that :)
>>
>> Use https://github.com/redhat-developer/openshift-vagrant
>> <https://github.com/redhat-developer/openshift-vagrant> (needs Red
>> Hat vpn for now)
>>
>> That is our attempt on making the things inside the CDK consumable
>> for dev scenarios.
>
> Does it fix the issue I outlined above?  What else is in there beyond
> the core CDK?

we configure docker and openshift so it has easy access to Cloud
enablement Images (like eap) and templates.

And yes I never use cdk from within the image, I purely only use it from
my host via docker cli, openshift cli and corresponding eclipse tooling.

>> What are the usecases you are looking to do ?
>
> Fabric8 Maven workflow for Fuse Integration Services, essentially:
> - Build Docker image outside OpenShift using Docker Maven Plugin

we should talk - since we are trying the same, just without being tied
to maven plugin.

> - Generate OpenShift/Kubernetes configuration for application

also overlaps with what we do - would be interested to see if it works
the same.

> - Push image to Docker registry

yup, we can do that.

> - Apply OpenShift/Kubernetes config to OpenShift

really would like to see us align on whatever that means ;)

> All of this works with the CDK with the exception of the Docker daemon
> access I mentioned.
>
> FWIW, the Maven workflow complements the existing s2i support in
> OpenShift - we support both with Fuse.

Yes, but the eclipse and main workflows right now I think don't work
well together - would be nice
to work on how to get them to be less alien to each other.

Would you have time to try compare our apple and oranges here ? :)

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen