[Container-tools] Fwd: Openshift in Vgarant box for AtomicApp/Nulecule

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 16:09:47 UTC 2015

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Openshift in Vgarant box for AtomicApp/Nulecule
Date: 	Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:09:09 +0530
From: 	Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com>
To: 	dev at lists.openshift.redhat.com

Hi,

We are working on a Vagrant box [5] for AtomicApp/Nulecule [1] [2]. The
Vagrant box would be useful to developers who wants to try and develop
AtomicApp. Nulecule/AtomicApp supports multiple providers [3] e.g.
OpenShift. So we are also trying to put OpenShift in to the Vagrant
box[5] . The purpose of putting OpenShift is as below.

1. We should be able to run AtomicApp with OpenShift a provider.
2. Developers should be able to use OpenShift in the Vagrant box to
deploy new applications in OpenShift. Then use the artifacts of
OpenShift for developing AtomicApp.

The above Vagrant box would be available for multiple back-ends e.g.
Libvirt, virtualbox etc and we will put it in AWS, GCE  (may be also as
OpenStack Heat template).

The idea is to produce the box as part of CentOS  SIG, use CentOS CI
system [4] to do automated testing of the box and delivery of the box
through usual CentOS release process.

So I have been going through documentation around Vagrant box for
OpenShift, setting up OpenShift and I have below questions/observations.
I will appreciate answers, comments and more information on below
questions/observations.

a. I found setting up OpenShift through docker containers is easy and
quick method to set it up. But I did not find information about how I
can add more nodes and expand the cluster.

a.1. But it seems the above step will break with Docker 1.7. So I am not
sure if I want to go with this route.

b. The Vagrant file at the root of origin git repo, does not work for
libvirt backend. However the vagrant file creates a Vagrant box on
Virtualbox setup. But it did not create a working setup of OpenShift  (I
had tried around 2 weeks back).

c. I am little sceptical about the RPM installation method of OpenShift
as I need to disable NetworkManager for this. It might create issues
with other things we have in the Vagrant box. I think ansible playbook
also will be doing the same stuff wrt NetworkManager.

So I am not sure which method I should use for OpenShift setup.

[1] https://github.com/projectatomic/nulecule
[2] https://github.com/projectatomic/atomicapp
[3] https://github.com/projectatomic/nulecule/blob/master/docs/glossary.md
[4] https://ci.centos.org/