[Container-tools] Nulecule/AtomicApp BoF at OSCon

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 13:24:14 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 08:43 AM, James Shubin wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-07-27 at 20:07 -0400, Langdon White wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just wanted to tell you folks that I did a BoF at OSCon about nulecule
>> and atomicapp. Was 9pm on Weds and, as you might expect, didn't have
>> great turn out. However, the few people I had did seem interested and
>> wanted to learn more.
>>
>> However, I wanted to bring up one thing which came up. One of the people
>> asked me "how is this different from config mgmt a la chef". While I
>> know in my head it is different,
> I agree...
>
>>  and potentially even a wrapper around
>> config mgmt, I was struggling with articulating a clear/concise answer.
>> As a result, I thought I would raise it to the list.
>>
>> Included James Shubin (who may already be subscribed) as the most
>> expert-y config mgmt person I know for his perspective.
> I've thought about this, and the short answer is that it's a long
> answer. Here's the shortest version:
>
> They're different, but only because IMO, the config management tools
> which would solve this problem elegantly, don't currently exist ATM.
>
> Assuming it doesn't offend anyone, I see Nulecule as a stop-gap until
> config management learns how to better build multi-container
> applications. This won't happen for at least a year. Assuming I'm wrong,
> please excuse this due to my lack of knowledge into some of the Nulecule
> specifics.
>
> HTH,
> James
>
>> langdon

atomic +labels (install, run, uninstall) allows an developer to define
how his application runs inside of the Open Container Format.
Nulecule allows the define how Multi-Container applications can be
run/installed, and then allows the developer a standard format
to ask administrators for additional configuration data like how my
replicas of each service would they like.

Orchestration tools can than take advantage of this tooling to spread
the application throughout the environment.

Daniel Riek could probably expand on this.