[Container-tools] Creating build tool for atomic apps

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 13:16:45 UTC 2015

On 10/06/15 14:43, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> So here's my progress on atomicapp-builder:
>
> - Repo: https://github.com/bkabrda/atomicapp-builder/ - Current
> status:
>
> Let's assume invocation like this:
>
> atomicapp-builder build --cccp-index
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kbsingh/cccp-index/master/index.yml
> --build-image docker.io/slavek/buildroot cccp:appid
>
> atomicapp-builder does this: - look up application with id "appid"
> in the given index (the example one is actually default, I
> specified it only to show that it's possible to also choose a
> different one) - clone it's git repo - look into it's Nulecule file
> to see what other apps it depends on (it does so recursively to get
> all the dependencies) - builds all the images (*) using dock -
> return built image names
>
> TODO: - accept a URI to a docker registry with some images possibly
> prefilled, push the built images there - some nice-to-haves, like
> better logging, meaningful error messages, etc...
>
> Also, I'm not sure whether "--cccp-index" is the right name for the
> argument above. I guess it'd make more sense to call it "--index"
> (something more general), since KB's cccp index is a name of an
> *instance of an index*. But I'm not sure about this, maybe KB can
> comment here.
>
> Please share your thoughts/comments. If you want to play around
> with atomicapp-builder, the test/files directory contains a simple
> testing index of four apps that I created, so you can use that
> one.
>

> (*) Note: Nulecule has a (undocumented) notion of two image types:
> "meta images" and "binary images". The "binary images" are images
> that contain the actual services, while "meta images" contain the
> "orchestration layer (kubernetes config files etc). As of now,
> Nulecule specification only allows resolving "meta images", so this
> is what atomicapp-builder builds. If/when Nulecule spec also
> implements a deterministic way to find out how to build the "binary
> images", I can also implement building these.

So, while I discussed with KB about the CCCP, I though that
atomicapp-builder would build *all* containers needed for the app to
run, or at least verify in a (trusted ?) repository which one can be
downloaded/used.
Are you saying that you'll only build the metadata docker container ?
what about the "binary" ones ?
Also, dock builds a container for a git repo and push to a registry,
so is that an option that atomicapp-builder will allow as it will need
to be passed as argument to dock itself

- --

Fabian Arrotin - OpenSource and Standards (OSAS)
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab