[Container-tools] Fedora Rolekit & Nulecule

Václav Pavlín vpavlin at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 15:54:44 UTC 2015

Attendees: vpavlin, sgallagher

Stephen is working on a feature for containerizing Server Roles:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Containerized_Server_Roles

This work could benefit from Nulecule spec as it would make it easy for
administrators to start (small) locally and then move to a
bigger/more-cloudy environment.

Roles can consist of one or more containerized applications which would
be packaged as Nulecules and would be deployed through rolekit tool.
Rolekit tool should use Atomic App in the background. To make it easy
for rolekit to communicate with Atomic App we should think about adding
REST API not only to gather logs as implemented in [1] but also to
control the tool - even Cockpit or Foreman could benefit from that.

Another topic was that Fedora Serve Roles should not depend on Docker
registry being available thus Atomic App should be able to build the
images needed to run the applications. We don't have the explicit
connection to the Dockerfile or the "binary" image specified in Nulecule
spec, but it seems we will need it in the future.

My first thought about how to solve this for Roles specificaly would
mean to be able to package Dockerfile as an artifact and being able to
build it prior to run.

Regards,
Vašek

[1] https://github.com/projectatomic/atomicapp/pull/99