[Container-tools] Nulecule videos not playing for me on Fedora 21

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 20 16:16:34 UTC 2015

On 20 May 2015 23:51, "Joe Brockmeier" <jzb at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/20/2015 01:08 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> > It looks like this is due to a glitch in Google's automatic
> > transcoding - setting my system to allow use of the Flash player
> > instead of forcing use of the HTML5 player let me watch them.
>
> Ah. That sounds right.
>
> So we can help other users with the same issue, how did you fix this? We
> can try to make sure we mention this in posts about the videos in the
> future.

It turned out to be a combination of a few issues.

1. YouTube's automatic transcoding to WebM didn't trigger for some reason (
http://youtube-global.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/mmm-mmm-good-youtube-videos-now-served.html
describes that, so it appears JMW was right in thinking it was supposed to
be handled on upload)

2. The particular system I was attempting to watch the videos on didn't
have any Flash plugin installed at all (neither Gnash nor Adobe's
free-as-in-beer one)

3. At some point I'd used https://www.youtube.com/html5 to set the cookie
to always prefer the HTML5 player

In my particular case, I installed Adobe's Flash plugin, and used the
YouTube HTML5 page to revert back to the browser's default handling rather
than forcing HTML5 video.

I'd first tried the instructions at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenH264,
but they weren't enough to fix the problem (possibly due to the AAC audio)

Regards,
Nick.