[Container-tools] Recommendations for bootstrapping a local k8s cluster?

James Shubin purpleidea at redhat.com
Thu May 21 17:26:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-21 at 15:34 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Following on from my initial experimentation with helloapache, it
> quickly became clear to me that a local k8s cluster is going to be
> essential for any serious exploration of nulecule's capabilities (with
> my main aim being to see how much of
> https://beaker-project.org/docs-develop/in-a-box/ nulecule can already
> handle, and what would be needed to get it the rest of the way).
>
> James has some Oh My Vagrant instructions at
> https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/kubernetes-clusters-with-oh-my-vagrant/
>
> k8s upstream has some Vagrant based instructions at
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/blob/master/docs/getting-started-guides/vagrant.md
>
> Neither of those seem particularly appealing, so if there's a way to
> make it work I'd like something along the lines of:
I'd love to hear some specifics of what you don't find appealing about
Oh-My-Vagrant. If there are legitimate issues, we can fix them :)

>     # dnf install atomic vagrant vagrant-libvirt
>     # systemctl start docker.service
>     # atomic run projectatomic/bootstrap_k8s

The funny part to me, is the approach you describe here is almost
identical to what you would have to do for oh-my-vagrant. The OMV
version is:

    # dnf install vagrant vagrant-libvirt
    # git clone https://github.com/purpleidea/oh-my-vagrant/
    # cd oh-my-vagrant/vagrant/
    # vagrant --omv-kubernetes=true up

Instead of git clone, you could replace this with an RPM.

> And end up with 3 local VMs running Fedora-or-CentOS Atomic Host

And you get the same thing, although oh-my-vagrant let's you customize a
whole bunch of other things too if you want those additional features!