[Container-tools] Recommendations for bootstrapping a local k8s cluster?

James Shubin purpleidea at redhat.com
Mon May 25 16:00:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 17:59 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 25 May 2015 at 16:52, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The all-inclusive vagrant+ansible bootstrap image ended up weighing in
> > at almost 700 MB, so I'm going to go with the "impractically large"
> > assessment here, and switch approaches to just installing ansible
> > locally and using OMV with the ansible based bootstrap.
>
> Starting to work on this, I believe this is the sequence of
> instructions I'd like to have work for ansible+vagrant based
> bootstrapping of a local Kubernetes instance (currently on an F21
> machine, hence yum rather than dnf):
>
>     $ sudo yum install git ansible vagrant vagrant-libvirt
>     $ git clone https://github.com/purpleidea/oh-my-vagrant.git
You can add --recursive if you want additional features (eg: puppet
stuff to be easier)

>     $ cd oh-my-vagrant/vagrant
>     $ cp ../examples/kubernetes-ansible.yaml omv.yaml
Please note, this file ^^^ can be edited to make any changes you want to
the environment. This is pretty fast and easy. The examples file is
*one* default possible env you might like.

>     $ vagrant up
>
> For a non-Fedora OS, the first step of getting git, ansible and
> vagrant appropriately installed will be different, while the last 4
> steps should remain the same.
>
> In practice, there's still some work to do to smooth out the OMV
> bootstrapping experience.
>
> Specifically, the last step failed for me on F21 due to the missing
> "vagrant-hostmanager" plugin.
[snip]

Firstly, make sure you have the latest fedora vagrant+libvirt packages.
The issues you described here are fixed in a newer version.

Secondly, you can run this script to install:
https://github.com/purpleidea/oh-my-vagrant/blob/master/extras/patch-hostmanager.sh
This is needed until it can be properly packaged.

Lastly, there are unfortunately still some bugs in the Fedora vagrant
+vagrant-libvirt packages. This is why I actually use the upstream
RPM's. I'm hoping this gets fixed soon, but it's out of my control. :(

> As far as the bootstrapping of Kubernetes itself goes, that's
> currently failing for me with some suspicious looking errors related
> to configuring firewalld while the Ansible scripts are running. I
> haven't started investigating that one yet, though.
Any issues here are going to be related to the ansible script you chose.
For built in kubernetes deployment, you can let OMV do that for you.
Turn off the ansible script, and in the omv.yaml file, set kubernetes:
true

We'd love to have better documentation for a lot of these FAQ items
you're hitting. Please send us some patches to:
https://github.com/purpleidea/oh-my-vagrant/blob/master/DOCUMENTATION.md

> Regards,
> Nick.

Cheers,